Saturday, June 27, 2009

Man vs Mountain, Season 1


Yoni-yama

Today we climbed Yoni-yama. It is 1/3 the size of Fuji, and the average time getting up the mountain is about 3 1/2 hours.



We left for the trip at about 10. The trek was pretty hard; the trail being mostly stairs. We ended stopping for a quick breather every couple of minutes. When we reached the half way mark, we were able to see our destination: a little house on the top of the mountain. The above picture is a pic from half way.
We passed a bunch of people on their way back down the mountain. They were really nice and some even chatted with us for a bit. One man who was stopped talked to me in English :). About 400 meters from the top, there was a little trail that led down to a well. Jerry and Rebekah filled up our water bottles while Robin and I stayed on the original trail. I cannot tell you how good cool water tasted on a day like today.
Like I said, most of the trail was stairs or stair like parts, but there was this one glorious stretch of mostly flat, slightly up and down trail. It was soooo beautiful in more ways than one. Haha. There were also parts on the trail that were so steep they put up ropes on the side of the trail to help you climb it. Yoru-chan, a man who works at number coffee, invited me to climb with him sometime. Jerry told me he goes fast and he goes at night. :S I don't think that that will happen anytime soon. haha.
When we reached the top of the mountain, you could see the ocean! There was a little rest house where we stopped, ate lunch, and played Euchre. Rebekah and I won... but just barely!
The trek down was easier, but at the same time, for me at least, really hard. I have a terrible sense of balance as well as gravity.... the earth likes to suck me down to its surface when I'm going down hill. My legs were shaky, and I was taking it pretty slow. Jerry and I decided that my dad is thankful for the trail ropes today. If it weren't for said ropes, Jerry might have fell down, running into me and making us both tumble down.....well, stairs!
Thankfully we all made it up and down the mountain in one piece and then we all went and got cappachino shakes and donuts at Mr. Donut!
Prayers:
I think praying for those of us who climbed the mountain today would be a good idea. We will all be really sore tomorrow.
Prayers for the 4th of July BBQ next Saturday
This next week at ECS, we will do some culture learning. I will learn about Japanese tea ceremonies, and the students will be learning about the 4th of July and maybe make matchstick rockets? (like we did at home in the kitchen, dad :D)
Laura's back is doing better
Thanks for all your prayers. God bless!
P.S. If you would like to see more pictures of our trip visit this site (provided you haven't already seen these on facebook :P)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I jogged 4 miles today. My computer crashed so trying to get it up and running, can't send email except through provide, lost address book addresses...I have new software on the way, so will load it when I get home from Louisville...love ya! Dad

    ReplyDelete