Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Long Day

Today was kind of a long day. I woke up kinda early, around 6:30ish, so that I could go with Jerry to his University class. I liked the class and had fun. One girl said that I was Bijin, which means very beautiful. Jerry said she was sucking up hahaha. If she was, she was doing a great job of it. :)
After class and as Jerry and I were waiting for the bus, he told me a little about Kanji, one of the alphabets here. Each word written in Kanji is made up of certain symbols. Kashiwazaki, for example, is White-Oak and then Coast (pretty much) so it basically means oak coast. Some of the more awesome Kanji he was telling me about were deception, salvation, and redemption. The Kanji for deception is made up of the symbols for woman, snake and tree. Sound familiar? How about Eve and the serpant? Salvation is a boat with eight people. Ring a bell? Maybe Noah and the seven other people on the ark will. And redemption is sheep, blood, and one other thing that I can't remember, but i thought that that was so cool.
He also showed me his Old Testament Manga. A manga is pretty much a Japanese comic book. It was really neat. It was the Old Testament in Japanese comic book style. Jerry told me how things were expressed in teh Japanese language. Like when God was talking to Abraham, He talked to him as a friend, not a lowly peon. But when Abraham spoke to God, it was using language like that of a lower person to a higher person. It was way cool. I liked how everything was depicted.
After we got back, I had a couple hours to chill before heading off to ECS. I helped a bit with the kids classes, but I actually participated in the young adult/adult class (the Intermediate class). We talked about what we did that week and about the upcoming festivals. It was really fun. The last class of the night was the Advance class which is basically conversation. Noboko was the only one in the class tonight, so we talked a bit about what I am going to school for, about onsens (hot spring baths), and about tea ceremonies. Noboko invited Jerry and I to go to a tea ceremony with a lady that speaks pretty good english to explain everything. I am way excited! :D

1 comment:

  1. I am excited for you, the words and descriptions are cool!!!! You let your passion free for what you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete